Home > Life in the UK > Where to go for Help or Advice as an Immigrant

Where to go for Help or Advice as an Immigrant

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 14 Oct 2018 | comments*Discuss
Where To Go For Help Or Advice As An Immigrant

For immigrants who wish to come to the UK the amount of help they are likely to require will depend on:

  • Their country of origin;
  • The purpose of their proposed visit to the UK; and,
  • The length of their proposed visit to the UK.
Detailed guidance for applicants is available both online and in the notes attached to each application form. For straightforward applications many applicants will find that they can complete the process without assistance.

However, immigration application forms can be lengthy, applicants may have to supply additional documents and the consequences of getting it wrong may be very serious. For those who do wish to get advice, or more information, before they embark on the process, the organisations below may be able to help.

UK Border Agency

Anyone who is in the early stage of planning a trip to the UK, but is unsure of the immigration or visa requirements they may have to satisfy, could start by consulting the UK Border Agency website. The UK Border Agency is the Home Office department responsible for processing and deciding visa applications. The website gives detailed information about all stages of the immigration process.

The UK Border Agency also has a dedicated visa website providing further detailed information and guidance for immigrants. This site has a simple online questionnaire to help people work out whether or not they have to obtain a visa or entry clearance before coming to the UK.

Application forms and the relevant guidance notes for immigrants may also be downloaded from the UK Border Agency website.

British Embassies and Consulates Overseas

For foreign nationals applying from overseas most immigrant applications will be made through their local British embassy or consulate. Any embassy or consulate which provides visa processing services will also be able to provide advice and information to prospective immigrants.

The Office of Immigration Services Commissioner

In the UK anyone who provides advice on immigration matters for a profit must be registered with the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). Advisers who are registered should display the OISC logo. To provide advice on immigration issues without being OISC registered is a criminal offence and there is no guarantee that the advice will be accurate. Non-profit organisations which offer immigration advice need not be registered but must obtain a certificate of exemption from the OISC.

The OISC website has a list of all registered and exempt immigration advisers and may also offer advice over the telephone about the availability of advisers in a particular area.

The Immigration Advisory Service

The Immigration Advisory Service (IAS) is the UK’s largest and most renowned charity providing specialist legal advice about, and help with, immigration issues. The IAS can also provide representation. Depending on the individual’s status this advice may be free or a fee may be charged for it. However, the IAS is a not-for-profit organisation therefore the purpose of the fee will be to cover their costs and is likely to be considerably lower than consulting a lawyer. Free advice is available to people who cannot afford to pay for it and who have a case which has a likelihood of being successful.

The IAS has offices throughout the UK as well as in Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nigeria. The IAS website has addresses for all offices and is itself an excellent source of information on immigration issues.

Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice Bureau is one the UK’s best known advice charities. Information on immigration issues is available on their website and some of their advisers may be able to assist with specific advice. However, even if the Citizens Advice Bureau is not able to help with a particular query they will certainly be able to direct enquirers to a person or organisation who can help.

Community Legal Advice

Community Legal Advice (CLA) is funded by legal aid and may provide free, confidential advice on a number of issues, including immigration. This advice is generally available to those who would qualify for legal aid. However, even if the CLA cannot help, because the person does not satisfy the criteria for legal aid, they will still be able to provide a list of local advisers who may be able to help.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
@Syed - If you wish to return to the UK you must apply for your deportation order to be revoked after a minimum of 10 years
TJ. - 14-Oct-18 @ 3:24 PM
hi i lived in the uk for a few years i was there is student in first place because i over stayed my visa i got deported plus got ten years band from re-entry to the uk and eu isresult now deoring my stay in the uk i was in a relationship(not any more) and we had a kid together my son is now four years old and his grand nan looking after him i want to go to the uk to visit him would that be possible
syed - 14-Oct-18 @ 10:45 AM
I am a widow who was ,married to British man he passed on 2012. He never wanted me to have British Citizenship for years.So I came back to South Africa. When I applied to go to the UK my visa was denied . I feel very abused cause I haven't been getting my pension my Barclays account was closed I have to go in and hear what is the problem I can't cause my visa was denied can you please help me Hope to hear from you soon. Cleopatra Woodroof
Zaza - 13-Oct-15 @ 12:00 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Bev50uk
    Re: New Rules for South African Visitors to the UK
    I have a very dear friend in SA who i would love to come live here in my home in England. I can get her a…
    25 June 2019
  • CazP
    Re: Applying for a British Passport
    I was born in the UK and have lived here all my life. Other than a1yr passport when I was eleven years old I have never held…
    23 June 2019
  • Nora
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    I'm married to a Gambian man i live there with his family I'm back in England now and he wants to be able to provide change for his family…
    22 June 2019
  • ace4grrace
    Re: EU Citizens Working in the UK
    hi im british but my partner is from the czech republic we aren't married but we have two children who are also british. my…
    20 June 2019
  • Zeeshan
    Re: UK Policies on Illegal Immigrants
    Hi I have live in uk for almost 13 years I am overstayed on my student visa I just wanna know is there any new rules coming…
    19 June 2019
  • Deen
    Re: UK Immigration Rules: Visas and Overstayers
    My brother is overstaying in Uk almost a year now, how can I help him, I leave to remain in uk. He needs help
    17 June 2019
  • RosyAli
    Re: Extradition and the UK
    My partner was extradited from the UK to the USA but all charges were dropped. Would he now be able to return to the UK as he has a life…
    17 June 2019
  • Besh
    Re: Applying for UK Travel Documents
    Hello there. I’m a refugee with leave to remain. I have applied for a travel document last year on 14/06/2018. I got a…
    16 June 2019
  • PAT
    Re: Applying for UK Travel Documents
    Hi. I have refugee settlement and applied for renewal of my travel document in November 2018. Up until now I haven't recieved…
    16 June 2019
  • Zaman
    Re: Applying for UK Travel Documents
    Hi my name is akhtar I have applied for travel documents 25 days ago and I did not receive any confirmation letter or email…
    15 June 2019