Home > Life in the UK > What Sort of Visa Do I Need?

What Sort of Visa Do I Need?

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 27 Jan 2015 | comments*Discuss
Visa Uk Immigration Points-based Work

The rules on UK visas are complex and it is not always easy to work out what sort of visa is needed for entry to the UK. In addition, the immigration rules are currently in the process of a radical overhaul. Applicants should ensure that they check the latest requirements before lodging an application.

How Long Will You Be in the UK?

Foreign nationals who will be in the UK for less than six months will usually apply under one of the visitor categories. The correct category will depend on the purpose of the visit. In addition to the general visitor category for tourists, there are specific categories including those for business visitors, students, academic visitors and entertainers.

Are You Joining Family in the UK?

Family members of European Economic Area (EEA) nationals who are not themselves EEA nationals may join their family in the UK but will require an EEA family permit. Family members who are from the EEA will need an EEA family permit if they intend to settle in the UK.

Spouses, civil partners, finacé(e)s, children and other dependent family members of non-EEA nationals may be able to join them in the UK but will require a visa to do so. The type of visa will depend on the relationship.

Will You be Studying in the UK?

Students who will spend more than six months studying in the UK need a visa unless they are nationals of the EEA. Foreign nationals taking courses lasting less than six months may be able to apply as a student visitor.

From March 2009 student visas will be covered by Tier 4 of the new points-based immigration system. From that date any college or university taking foreign students will have to be licensed by the UK Border Agency and all foreign students will have to be sponsored by a licensed college or university to obtain a visa.

Will You be Working Whilst you are in the UK?

Most EEA nationals are free to work in the UK under EU law and do not require a visa. However, special rules apply to the nationals of some countries that have recently joined the EU and of Bulgaria and Romania.

Other foreign nationals who wish to work in the UK will generally require a visa. Most categories of worker will now apply under the new points-based system. The category under which foreign nationals should apply largely depends on the type of work they do. To be eligible for a visa, applicants must score the number of points required for that category. The work-related tiers break down, briefly, as follows:

  • Tier 1 – Highly skilled workers, investors and entrepreneurs. This tier opened on 30 June 2008. Applicants do not require a job offer to be eligible but are expected to make a substantial contribution to the UK either through their skills or their ability to invest.
  • Tier 2 – Sponsored, skilled workers. This tier opened on 27 November 2008 and applies to a wide range of workers many of whom would previously have required a work permit. This tier also includes ministers of religion and sports people. Applicants need a sponsor.
  • Tier 5 – This tier opened on 27 November 2008 and applies to applicants coming to the UK as sponsored temporary workers. It also contains special immigration provisions which apply only to people between the ages of 18 and 30.
Foreign nationals who have recently graduated from a UK university may be eligible to apply to work in the UK for up to two years under the Post-Study Work category of Tier 1 of the points-based immigration system.

Are You Coming to the UK to Get Married?

Foreign nationals may come to the UK to marry or enter into a civil partnership but will require a visa to do so if either party is not an EEA or Swiss national. Depending on the nature of the proposed union, they will need either a “visit for marriage” or a “visit for civil partnership” visa. The couple will have to provide evidence that they will marry or enter into a civil partnership whilst in the UK. The visa will allow them to remain in the UK for six months.

Are You Coming to the UK for Private Medical Treatment?

Foreign nationals who wish to come to the UK to undergo private medical treatment should apply under the special visitor visa category relevant to them. They will need to prove that they have arranged medical treatment, and that they can afford to pay for that treatment and support themselves financially whilst they are in the UK.

If it becomes necessary to stay in the UK for longer than six months to complete the treatment an application to extend the visa may be made from within the UK.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Hi I live in Germany and intend to visit uk for a short holiday of 9 days.. I have aIndian Passportand endorsed is permanent residence certificate for Germany... Can I travel with these documents
Didi - 12-Jul-13 @ 10:29 AM
i am a us citizen, wanting to marry a UK citizen.I love him,he loves me, and we arehaving issues understanding your laws on getting married! which way is easiest for us? as we are both considered disabled?
mary - 30-May-13 @ 9:49 AM
my daughters boyfriend has lost is appeal of asylum to stay in this country from pakistan is there a time limit before he can apply to come back to england
rocki - 9-Apr-13 @ 1:46 AM
I'm still very unsure about which type(s) of visa I will need. I will be spending at least 1 year in the UK studying and working. I also want to visit other countries during that year. Do I need separate visas fork work and studying?Thanks!!
taytay - 28-Mar-11 @ 1:06 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Rizwan
    Re: UK Policies on Illegal Immigrants
    Hi I'm in UK since 2006 I was came on visit visa I put the application in 2010 on human rights 2014 that's go refuse offer…
    20 September 2019
  • babo
    Re: Applying for Visas for Extended Family
    I am Shahbaz Ahmed Dar and I am British National but I have resided in Italy and hold Italian residence. Actually…
    18 September 2019
  • Francisco
    Re: Applying for UK Travel Documents
    I applied for a travel document in July 2019 but they don't send me, where I need to ask for my travel document? Or if they…
    18 September 2019
  • Judy
    Re: Giving Up UK Citizenship or Nationality
    My Indefinite leave to remain visa on my another country's passport was cancelled by uk boarder because they said I…
    17 September 2019
  • Alex
    Re: Applying for a British Passport
    I would like to apply for British passport for my son. Hi was born in UK in 2012 and live here all the time and become British…
    16 September 2019
  • Lisa
    Re: Adopting a Child from Abroad
    Hi my wife living in India is my adopted son with tired so I bring UK so what can I do now and my son is special need is slow mind…
    15 September 2019
  • Arfan
    Re: New Rules for South African Visitors to the UK
    Hi I would like to apply for a visitor visa for my brother in law to visit me and my wife from South Africa…
    14 September 2019
    Re: Adopting a Child from Abroad
    Hi I have 1kid she us 15 years I decided to adopt my brother son due to mum die no body looking after him. The same time I have…
    13 September 2019
  • Sasha1605
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    Hey, I am a uk citizen, was born here and lived here all my life (Scotland) my boyfriend is an international student studying here just now…
    13 September 2019
  • Sasha1605
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    I am a Uk citizen my boyfriend is an international student from Nigeria, studying here in Scotland just now. We plan to marry sometime next…
    13 September 2019