Home > Life in the UK > UK Detention Centres

UK Detention Centres

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 8 May 2016 | comments*Discuss
Uk Detention Centre Immigration Removal

Detention centres – or Immigration Removal Centres – are a source of ongoing controversy in the UK. Some immigrants, including children, are held in detention centres whilst awaiting the immigration authorities’ decision on whether they are eligible for a UK visa or entitled to asylum in the UK. Therefore, it is likely that some detainees are not guilty of any unlawful activity. The Chief Inspector of Prisons has, on more than one occasion, criticised or questioned the conditions in UK detention centres.

The UK currently has 11 detention centres - although there are plans to increase the number of spaces available for people awaiting immigration decisions. The article below gives a brief overview of the UK’s detention centres.


This centre in Hampshire has a long prior history, first as a Naval barracks and then as a Young Offender Institution. It opened as an immigration detention centre in June 1989 and is run by HM Prison Service. The centre has 160 beds for male detainees. Haslar has, at times, been the scene of riots, hunger strikes and other protests. The centre has been criticised on a number of occasions by the Prisons inspectorate.

Campsfield House

Campsfield House detention centre is located near Oxford and is a long-term centre with space for 216 male detainees. The centre is privately run and was opened in 1993. Campsfield has been the site of a number of serious riots and disturbances. The centre is amongst those from which there have been several escapes – including an outbreak of 26 detainees in 2007.

Tinsley House

Tinsley House opened in 1993 and is a privately run centre near Gatwick Airport. It has space for 216 men, 5 women and 4 families. In a 2009 report, the Chief Inspector of Prisons said that the conditions at Tinsley House were no longer suitable for women and children.


Lindholme, near Doncaster, was previously an RAF base which opened as a detention centre in 2000. The centre can house 112 males over the age of 21 and is run by HM Prison Service. In 2006 several members of staff required hospital treatment for injuries sustained after detainees set fire to the building.


Oakington, also previously an RAF base, opened as a detention centre in 2000. It is privately run with space for 408 male detainees. The centre was originally due to close in 2006 but remains open pending sale and redevelopment of the site. In 2010 the Home Office was ordered to pay £100,000 in compensation to a Bolivian asylum-seeker after she and her children were unlawfully detained at Oakington.


Privately run Dungavel, in South Lanarkshire, started life as a hunting lodge. It opened in September 2001 and has facilities for children. The centre has 190 beds. In 2010 there was disquiet amongst local people after five-year-old Nigerian twins were taken straight from school to Dungavel, as the first step towards the deportation of the children and their mother.


Harmondsworth, near Heathrow Airport, also opened in September 2001 and has space for 259 single men. The centre, which is purpose-built and privately run, was temporarily closed in 2004 due to damage caused by rioting detainees. The riots began after false rumours spread through the centre that staff had murdered a detainee.

Yarl’s Wood

The purpose-built Yarl’s Wood detention centre in Bedfordshire opened in November 2001. This facility, which is privately run, is the UK’s main centre for the detention of women and families. The centre has 284 places for single females and 121 “family bed spaces”. In 2002 half of the building was destroyed by fire during a riot by detainees. The undamaged half re-opened in September 2003.


Prior to opening as an immigration detention centre in 2002, Dover was a Young Offender Institution. The centre, which overlooks Dover’s docks, is run by HM Prison Services and can accommodate 314 males over the age of 18. The security at Dover was criticised in 2003 after repeated escapes by detainees. Kent Police refused to help track down the detainees saying that it was not a crime to escape from an immigration detention centre.


Colnbrook opened, near Heathrow, in August 2004 and is the UK’s highest security detention centre. It is officially referred to as a “short-term holding facility” and has room for 308 adult men and women. Colnbrook has been the subject of a number of minor public outcries because of the allegedly luxurious lifestyle enjoyed by the detainees.

Brook House

Brook House - the UK’s newest and biggest detention centre - opened in March 2009 and is a privately run, purpose-built facility. The centre, near Gatwick, has 426 spaces for men. Within 4 months of opening the emergency services had to be called to Brook House after detainees started a fire.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Lulu- Your Question:
My illegal bf got arrested in Liverpool last night he had his one phone call to me last night and iv not heard anything since how can I find out what's happening or where he is

Our Response:
I'm afraid you will have to wait until your boyfriend contacts you again to tell you his whereabouts. You can contact the Home Office directly who should be able to advise, you can also see the CAB link here which tells you more about the process and the options available to your boyfriend.
AboutImmigration - 9-May-16 @ 11:58 AM
My partner went to Aberdeen Scotland on a work contract . Upon his return he was arrested on Glasgow airport his work permit expired. He was given the opportunity to renew his permit but does not have funds available there. He was now sent to deportation camp, he says 90 days, and his open flight ticket has expired. What is procedure when the 90 days are over? Does he have to pay his own flight ticket and expenses to go back to his country of origin after the 90 days or does the UK government pay for everything to have him deported? Also who provides for people in deportation camp?
Gulable - 8-May-16 @ 3:37 PM
My illegal bf got arrested in Liverpool last night he had his one phone call to me last night and iv not heard anything since how can I find out what's happening or where he is
Lulu - 8-May-16 @ 1:36 PM
maz - Your Question:
I need advice on how to put in request for deportation of partner who is here on spouse visa as we are no longer together.

Our Response:
Please see the gov.uk link here which should answer your question.
AboutImmigration - 28-Sep-15 @ 2:09 PM
I need advice on how to put in request for deportation of partner who is here on spouse visa as we are no longer together.
maz - 27-Sep-15 @ 12:22 PM
@Nicky - If a foreign national is convicted of a criminal offence which results in a prison sentence they are liable to be deported when they are released for prison. The more serious the offence, the more likely a judge is to recommend the deportation. Whether or not a judge has recommended deportation, when a foreign national is approaching the end of their sentence the Prison Service will notify the immigration authorities of his impending release. This is usually done sufficiently far in advance so that preparations for deportation can be commenced in good time. In this case can your ex can only but appeal using the fact that he is established in the UK and has strong family ties. However,the government has clamped down on letting those stay who have a criminal record and on the back of recent immigration changes, it is preferred that if people are going to appeal they are deported first and appeal later.
AboutImmigration - 13-Apr-15 @ 2:25 PM
My ex partner is due for release on 13th April, he is waiting a decision as to wether he gets to stay in Britain or not, I have three children 2 who are my ex partners, my oldest us very close to his father and very emotional about the situation, deporting his father is going to cause severe phsycological problems for him. How can I put a stop to him being deported for the sake of his children, there is no relationship between myself and ex partner and I do not condone his behaviour but his children need him
Nicky - 9-Apr-15 @ 10:23 PM
@judy - The 14 years rule where people who had stayed in the country illegally could apply for indefinite leave to remain regardless was abolished last year. Under the new rules set out in the Home Office’s Statement of Intent on family migration, at least 20 years continuous residence in the UK, lawfully or unlawfully, will generally be required before an individual can apply to start route to UK settlement on the basis of the ECHR Article 8 right to respect for private life. Normally you could apply for naturalisation being married to a British citizen, however, because of your unlawful stay it makes it more complicated. However, you may also be able to apply to remain with your child if they have lived in the UK for at least seven years. This Gov.uk link should help youlink here .
AboutImmigration - 2-Dec-14 @ 2:48 PM
If a woman came into the country 13 years ago on a holiday permit, married a British national at the Brazillian Embassy, had 2 children while here but does not have the right to reside in the UK. She is now suffering serious abuse and wishes to leave her husband, what are her rights at this stage please. Your assistance would be much appreciatede.
judy - 1-Dec-14 @ 4:41 PM
@Luda - I can point you to a list of immigration removal centres in the UK, it is up to you to find out which which one it might be link here. I hope this helps.
AboutImmigration - 27-Oct-14 @ 11:01 AM
what number I need to call to find my brother.i need to know what detention center ?
luda - 25-Oct-14 @ 2:12 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the AboutImmigration website. Please read our Disclaimer.