Home > Workers > Stricter New Rules for Migrant Workers

Stricter New Rules for Migrant Workers

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 5 Aug 2014 | comments*Discuss
Workers Uk Foreign Rules Stricter

The UK government has announced that stricter entry requirements are being introduced for migrant workers who wish to come to the UK. The introduction of the stricter rules is intended to ensure that British workers have a reasonable chance of getting jobs that might previously have gone to foreign workers.

A points-based immigration system for foreign workers was first introduced in the UK in 2008. Under this system applicants must score a pre-determined number of points in different categories in order to obtain a UK work visa. The system can easily be amended so that applicants need a higher number of points before they will be granted a visa.

The article below applies to workers from outside the European Union or the European Economic Area. Most European citizens have the same right to work in the UK as British citizens under European law. However, special rules do apply to some European nationals, including those from Bulgaria and Romania.

Why the Rules Have Changed

In a difficult economic environment, when many people are losing their jobs, it is thought by some to be unfair that foreign workers are allowed to come to the UK to take up jobs which might have been done by British workers. The government has estimated that tightening the rules for migrant workers could result in the number of immigrants coming to the UK being reduced by about 12,000 per year.

This development also reflects an ongoing overhaul of the immigration system under which all categories of immigrants must earn their right to come to or live in the UK, and prove that they will make a valuable contribution to the country while they are here.

Tier 1 of the Points-Based System

The entry requirements for highly skilled workers applying under the General category of Tier 1 of the points-based system have been increased. Applicants will now need to score a higher number of points to be successful under this category. In particular the minimum level of qualification for this category has been increased to a Masters Degree and applicants must have a salary of at least £20,000 per year.

Tier 2 of the Points-Based System – Skilled Workers

Under the rules for Tier 2 foreign workers may apply in this category to work in skilled jobs which cannot be filled by UK workers. Although this category was intended to fill gaps in the workforce there have been suspicions from some quarters that employers have used it as a way of recruiting a cheaper workforce from abroad.

Stricter rules have been introduced about the way in which employers advertise jobs which supposedly cannot be filled by British workers. Jobs must now be advertised through the government-run JobCentre Plus recruitment centres before workers from outside Europe can be employed to fill them.

It has already been suggested that applications under the Tier 2 category could be restricted so that applications under Tier 2 would only be accepted for jobs which cannot be filled by British workers.

Skills Shortage Lists

The situation for foreign workers applying under Tier 2 may be compounded by the government’s intention to modify the way in which skills shortage lists are used. Previously these would be used to focus overseas recruitment on areas where there was a shortage of home-grown workers. However, skills shortage lists may now be used to identify areas where the British workforce lacks skills and provide training to domestic workers. The intention would be to reduce or eliminate the need to recruit foreign workers in the future.

Tier 3 of the Points-Based System

Tier 3 of the points-based system has been (temporarily) withdrawn meaning that no applications will be accepted from migrant workers who wish to come to the UK to work in low-skilled jobs.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
@Nomz, you can find more info about au pairs working in the UK from the .gov.uk website which also has links to the British Au Pair Agencies Association website.
Nick - 5-Aug-14 @ 11:16 AM
I am an au pair living in the Uk for the past 2 years and do not find it fair that I ma not allowed to study in any field I would like to, even when it is part time.I also find it unfair that I contribute to tax but I am restricted to study part time andyet I want to pay for it. I do not claim any public funds and feel I should be allowed to get myself educated.
Nomz - 4-Aug-14 @ 3:09 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Giving Birth to a Child in the UK
    E.P - Your Question:HelloI’ve being living in UK since 19,now I am 24(turning 25 in July) but,i’ve being living illegally.I…
    20 February 2018
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Applying for Visas for Extended Family
    posh - Your Question:Iam british citizen and also a nurse. I have 2 children 4yr and 1yr old. Can I invite my aunt…
    20 February 2018
  • Debby
    Re: Marrying a UK Resident
    My fiance is with italian permanet stay and I get leave to remain UK and work permit resident can I get marry with him in UK?
    20 February 2018
  • TJ.
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    @Jim - British citizens cannot be given visas to the UK hence you should travel to the UK using your British passport. You simply leave and…
    20 February 2018
  • TJ.
    Re: UK Immigration Rules: Visas and Overstayers
    @kfb - You should seek clarification from your nearest British embassy or high commission.
    20 February 2018
  • TJ.
    Re: Business Visitors to the UK
    @Josh - your girlfriend needs to leave the UK voluntarily at her own cost, serve the one year ban for overstaying in the UK and…
    20 February 2018
  • TJ.
    Re: Asylum Seekers and Permission to Work in the UK
    @Ali - If your claim for asylum was refused and you have no room for appeal then the best thing for you…
    20 February 2018
  • Jim
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    I am a British \ US dual citizen residing in America. My fiance is American and we would like to get married in the UK. I travel using an…
    20 February 2018
  • kfb
    Re: UK Immigration Rules: Visas and Overstayers
    32 years ago i over stayed my work visa in the uk,as i would like to return for a 5 week holiday i need to know…
    20 February 2018
  • Nabeela
    Re: Adopting a Child from Abroad
    I jst wana knw is sponsorship for blood relations is finished for UK or not..if not den plz snd me proper link for details..
    20 February 2018
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the AboutImmigration website. Please read our Disclaimer.