Home > UK Visitors > Rules for Visitors from the EU to the UK

Rules for Visitors from the EU to the UK

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 28 Jul 2010 | comments*Discuss
Rules For Visitors From The Eu To The Uk

Under European law special rules apply to visitors to the UK who are nationals of a country within the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or of Switzerland. The EEA includes EU countries and some which are not part of the EU but whose citizens have the same rights of residence in the UK under European law. Nationals of all these countries are allowed to live and work in the UK without having to obtain a visa.

To exercise their right to live in the UK, nationals of these countries must either work in the UK or be able to support themselves and their families financially without having to rely on help from the government. Nationals of these countries do not require a permit to work in the UK and are entitled to the same working conditions as UK citizens.

EU Visitors to the UK

Nationals of the EU or other countries listed above may visit the UK at any time without a visa. They must, however, have valid travel documents to enter the UK. All passports will be checked by UK immigration officials at the border.

Bringing Family to the UK

EU / EEA and Swiss nationals who wish to live and / or work in the UK are permitted to bring family members with them. For this purpose family includes:
  • Husband, wife, or civil partner;
  • Children or grandchildren – of the EU national or of their spouse or partner - who are under the age of 21 or who are dependent;
  • Parents or grandparents of either the EU national or their spouse or partner.
EU / EEA nationals who come to the UK as students may only bring their spouse or civil partner and their children.

Family members listed above who are not themselves EU / EEA / Swiss nationals will have to obtain a special visa, known as an EEA family permit if they are to remain in the UK for a long period or permanently. These family members may also apply for a residence card using form EEA2 to confirm their entitlement to live in the UK.

Family members who are not EU / EEA / Swiss citizens and live in the UK with a national of the Czech Republic, Estonia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Poland, Romania, Latvia, Slovenia, Hungary or Slovakia are not entitled to a residence card until the EU / EEA national family member has worked in the UK continuously for 12 months. However, they may apply for a residence stamp to be placed in their passport to show their entitlement to live in the UK, using form FMRS.

The Worker Registration Scheme

Nationals of Slovenia, Slovakia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Hungary, Estonia and the Czech Republic who wish to work in the UK for a UK employer for longer than one month must register on the Worker Registration Scheme. Once citizens of these countries have worked in the UK continuously for 12 months they are entitled to apply for a residence permit confirming their full entitlement to live and work in the UK under European Law.

Special Rules for Bulgarian and Romanian Nationals in the UK

Bulgarian and Romanian nationals are free, under European law, to live in the UK - as long as they can support themselves and their family financially. However, they are not generally allowed to be employed in the UK without first obtaining permission. Applying for permission is a two stage process which must involve the applicant’s employer.

Applying for Permanent Residence in the UK

EU / EEA / Swiss nationals who have lived in the UK continuously for five years may apply for a document confirming their permanent residence in the UK. To qualify for this document the applicant must:
  • Have worked, studied or otherwise supported themselves, and any family members, throughout the five year period; and,
  • Not have been out of the UK for longer than six months in any one year. However, exceptions will be made for compulsory military service. Extended periods of up to 12 months spent out of the UK may be excused if there were special reasons – for example a serious illness or being posted overseas by an employer.
The application for Permanent Residence is made using form EEA3.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • abetiku
    Re: Registering a Child as a UK Citizen or National
    Hi, please I need advice. I came to UK with Tier 2 (3 years visa) and my husband and daughter as…
    18 October 2017
  • rae
    Re: Marrying a UK Resident
    Hi ..am an asylum seeker with a pending case. My boyfriend is a british citizen and we intend to marry, however i wanted to know, if am…
    18 October 2017
  • zippy
    Re: Types of Workers Needed in the UK
    Hi,Am a Kenyan citizen aged 33and l would like to work in the UK as a stewardess or cleaner.kindly advise on where to start…
    18 October 2017
  • Loz
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    Hi! I am from the UK and have lived in Australia for the past 2.5 years. Myself and my Brazilian partner are now travelling to New Zealand…
    18 October 2017
  • Abz127
    Re: Can I Apply for UK Residence?
    My wife has finally received her UK spouse visa. Can you advise when she is likely to receive her BRP decision letter with…
    17 October 2017
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Giving Birth to a Child in the UK
    ben - Your Question:Hi I'm from Zimbabwe I was working in the Uk (legally) for 5 years on a ancestrieal visa I have a child…
    17 October 2017
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Appealing a Refusal of Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK
    Mickg - Your Question:My thai wife today, has been advised her application for 2nd half of 5…
    17 October 2017
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Registering a Child as a UK Citizen or National
    Guy - Your Question:Hello. It is written in the above page:"It may be possible to register a child born…
    17 October 2017
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    Smizzy - Your Question:I was deported from the U.S. In 2009 and I have a girlfriend that lives in the UK. We plan to get married next year.…
    17 October 2017
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Deportation from the UK
    KAY - Your Question:Hello guys, my name is Kayode, sentenced to 18weeks in prison in 2015 but before then iI applied for a visa to stay…
    17 October 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the AboutImmigration website. Please read our Disclaimer.