Home > Citizenship > Giving Up UK Citizenship or Nationality

Giving Up UK Citizenship or Nationality

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 10 Aug 2020 | comments*Discuss
Uk British Citizenship Nationality Give

An individual may wish to give up their UK citizenship or nationality in order to become a citizen of another country. In most cases it is possible to retain British citizenship when acquiring the nationality of a second country. However, some countries do not allow their citizens to hold dual nationality.

The article below examines the circumstances in which an individual may be able to give up their British citizenship or nationality.

The Test for Giving up Citizenship or Nationality

In order to give up British citizenship or nationality an individual must:
  • Already have the citizenship or nationality of another country or be due to acquire it upon giving up his or her British status;
  • Be at least 18 years old or be married;
  • Be of sound mind – generally this means that an individual has the mental capacity to make their own decisions. For the purposes of an application to renounce nationality it means that the applicant understands the implications of giving up their nationality.
Applications may be made by someone else on behalf of someone who is not “of sound mind”. An application made on this basis could still succeed if it is considered to be in the individual’s best interest to renounce their British nationality. The person completing the form on their behalf will have to explain why it would be in the applicant’s best interest to give up their British nationality.

If an application to give up British citizenship or nationality is successful the applicant will receive a declaration of renunciation confirming their new status.

Applying to Give up UK Citizenship or Nationality

An application to give up citizenship or nationality is made using form RN. In some cases an individual may hold more than one type of British nationality at the same time. If this is the case, each type of nationality will have to be given up. More than one type of nationality may be included on the form at the same time.

The Application Form

The form comes in two parts – most of the information contained on the form is repeated in both parts. If the application is successful the second part of the form will be signed, stamped and returned to the applicant, becoming the formal declaration of renunciation. The first part of the form must be countersigned either by:
  • someone who is over the age of 18 and can confirm that the applicant is of sound mind; or, if the applicant is not of sound mind,
  • someone with responsibility for the applicant, who must also explain why it is in the applicant’s best interest for them to renounce their nationality.
Together with the form, applicants must also send in documents which prove both that they currently have some form of British nationality to give up and that they have, or will have, another citizenship or nationality if they give up their British nationality. Applicants who are under the age of 18 but who qualify to renounce their nationality due to marriage should also send in proof that they are married.

Applications to give up most forms of British citizenship are made to the British Home Office and forms completed by applicants in the UK should be returned to the UK Border Agency. In order to give up most types of British nationality a fee must be paid. The fee to give up British citizenship and / or most other types of British nationality was £395 as at September 2009. Applications to give up more than one type of nationality at the same time are only charged one fee. There is no fee for an application to give up the status of British National (Overseas).

Giving Up British Nationality Before Becoming the Citizen of Another Country

The declaration of renunciation will show the date on which the applicant ceased to be a British national. If the applicant has not yet become the citizen or national of another country when they make their application the declaration of renunciation will, in effect, be conditional upon them acquiring another nationality. If this has not happened within 6 months of the declaration being registered, the declaration will be void and the applicant will remain a British citizen or national.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Hello I have been in UK for 20 years. I got ILR after 10 years long residency then British citizenship. Now I consider to give up British citizenship but want to continue to live under my country of origin nationality. My question now is whether or not I am allowed to apply for ILR again based on the long residency route. Second question is I also have 2 children (aged 6 and 2 yr), I understand they became British automatically. What will happen to their status as they arrived UK depending on my status. We all have the valid passports of our original coutnry. We also have the property owned in London. Any suggestion is appreciated. Many thanks KM9
KM9 - 10-Aug-20 @ 5:55 PM
I am a US citizen but was born in the U.K. and also hold a U.K. citizenship. I live in the US and am trying to renounce my U.K. citizenship. Do I just fill out the application online? I can’t find where to send my documents to and am worried of them getting lost.
Eb346 - 10-Aug-20 @ 3:03 PM
I submitted my application (online) for renunciation on 4th February. Got an email of receipt (luckily). Absolutely nothing else since and I near the 4th August 6 month timeline. I'm guessing that COVID19 will get the blame, but for almost 400 GBP you would imagine that you would get some kind of notice if it was going to take longer or actually be able to check the progress of your application online.
TracyG - 13-Jul-20 @ 1:39 PM
I have lived and worked in uk for nearly 20 years and my hubby is English. If I give up my British passport can I get my ILR back ? Thanks.
Judy - 14-Nov-19 @ 6:49 PM
@KT When did you submit your online application? The speed of processing is rather unpredictable. Some applicants get approval very quickly whereas others need to wait for six months. Which Department Number did you need to submit your supporting documents to?
KS - 27-Sep-19 @ 3:50 PM
I am in the same position as @Dutchman and @Liz Submitted on line, the biggest problem is the lack of a free number to call to talk to a real human and ask some detailed questions. For the fee charged there really should be that opportunity. I did try some of the numbers and email addresses provided but it appears to be impossible to get through to someone with an intimate knowledge of the process and I was given contradictory advice from different people. I guess I sit back and wait now!
KT - 27-Sep-19 @ 10:49 AM
I am still holding valid permanent residency status as EU family member. I was granted British citizen last year. I am thinking of renouncing the British citizen so as to keep my original nationality. What would be my visa status after that? Will I be able to apply for permanent residency directly as the new streamlined process for EU family member under the Brexit?
CG - 17-Sep-19 @ 5:18 PM
My Indefinite leave to remain visa on my another country's passport was cancelled by uk boarder because they said I do not need it anymore as I have British passport. But if I hold another passport I do need the visa otherwise I will have trouble going through that country's border. If I give up my British passport can I have my ILR back?
Judy - 17-Sep-19 @ 12:17 PM
Has anybody recently submitted an application for renunciation? Did anyone use the new online method of submission? If yes, which department number of UKVI were you asked to send your documents to? How long did it take for you to receive the approval? Since there is no physical RN form for online submission, I wonder what people would get as evidence of renunciation. Thanks a lot!
KS - 8-Sep-19 @ 4:36 PM
@peter - If you give up your British citizenship, you lose your right to live and work in the UK. If you are not an EU citizen will have to apply for a visa if you wish to live and work in the UK.
TJ. - 15-Apr-19 @ 10:16 AM
Hello, I'm living and working in UK, but want to give up my Brittish cityzenship, I'm wondering what my visa status could be if my application is accepted, do I need to re-apply ILR ? Thanks a lot in advance.
peter - 14-Apr-19 @ 4:39 AM
Just an enquiry, if you give up your citizenship in Britain does it give up your children's? Can you still work in the U.K.?
Mamlea - 16-Mar-19 @ 12:37 PM
Further to my earlier post, I did eventually get through by phone to a real person who was actually helpful; they said I could apply to get my UK passport returned without stopping the renunciation application. So this is what I did and the passport duly arrived after 10 days, which is what they say one should expect. I am, however, still waiting to hear about the renunciation application itself; it has now been almost 3 months....
AyJayBee - 14-Nov-18 @ 10:25 AM
@Liz, I today received a letter from the Home Office to inform me that I am now registered as having renounced British citizenship. I can finally send this off to the IND. The whole process has taken 3 1/2 months. I was curious if you'd heard anything back yet? Regards.
Dutchman - 2-Oct-18 @ 9:16 AM
I sent off my renunciation form a few weeks ago together with my current UK passport (which is what I understood one should do) and then, to my horror, got an email message saying that it could take 6 months to process my application which, frankly, is totally ridiculous. Worse, however, is that I now have no passport at all and can't travel anywhere! I have tried to find a telephone number to be able to speak to someone, anyone about the application but without success so far. Does anyone have a number which I could call, either to ask them to hurry up or to request that they send my UK passport back in the meantime?
AyJayBee - 24-Sep-18 @ 4:44 PM
@KUDMON - Parents with ILR can only pass British citizenship to their children if they are born in the UK. Because you were born abroad, you have no claim to British citizenship unless you now live in the UK and at least one of your parents has become a British citizen.
TJ. - 5-Sep-18 @ 5:34 PM
I am a child aged 17 and I was born abroad but my had father indefinite leave to remain at my birth and he was married to my mother.Does this make me British and can I apply for a British passport or do I need to register / apply to become a citizen.
KUDMON - 5-Sep-18 @ 12:39 PM
Has anyone out there had their RN1 document legalised in the UK?
Liz - 3-Aug-18 @ 10:05 AM
@Jawa - An individual above the age of 18 cannot be legally adopted under UK law.
TJ. - 27-Jun-18 @ 1:58 PM
Hello, Please I have a question for you. A relative of mine is a British citizen and wants to pass the citizenship to me through adoption, but I am already 36 years old, please is that possible considering my age? Kindly send me the reply, or refer me to where my question can be answered. Thank you very much.
Jawa - 27-Jun-18 @ 12:30 PM
@Liz - Renunciation process takes up to six months so be patient.
TJ. - 14-Jun-18 @ 8:38 AM
Three weeks now - still no fees taken or an acknowledgment. The DutchIND wants proof of payment and an acknowledgement to be sent to them to show that the process of renunciation has begun within 3 months of becoming Dutch. I am finding this lack of response from UKV1 very stressful.
Liz - 13-Jun-18 @ 6:00 AM
@Cheza - Applications to renounce British citizenship take up to 6 months to be processed.
TJ. - 12-Jun-18 @ 2:28 PM
Hello. I applied to renounce a week and a half ago. Any idea on how long it will take to complete and when they take the money off?
Cheza - 11-Jun-18 @ 11:34 AM
@Jaggers - Your father will not be able to get back his renounced British citizenship unless the country where he holds another citizenship required him to renounce his British citizenship before they could grant him citizenship. Once your father has renounced his British citizenship his entry to the UK will depend on the passport he holds.
TJ. - 9-Jun-18 @ 1:43 PM
Hello, my father wishes to renounce his British citizenship. I would like to know what are the consequences of this. Will he in the future be able to get his British citizenship back if he wished to do so. Also the remainder of the family are choosing to keep their British citizenship so I would also like to know how easy travelling back to the UK would be for my father to visit the family that remain here. Thank you
Jaggers - 8-Jun-18 @ 6:21 PM
@Liz, thank you so much for your reply and for reminding me that an uitreksel BRP is available in English. I have sent all documentation to Liverpool today. I read on another forum somewhere that the authorities do take quite a while to confirm receipt of application. I've searched high and low for a phone number but can't find one. I hope you hear back from them soon. Once again, thanks for your help and good luck with your application and congratulations with yoir new nationality.
Dutchman - 6-Jun-18 @ 11:43 AM
I have not received any confirmation from Liverpool after 2 weeks nor has any fee been taken. I do not know how to contact Liverpool. The general phone number they give03001232253 say they cannot help. Any ideas??????
Liz - 5-Jun-18 @ 11:32 AM
I am in the process of renouncing uk citizenship after becoming Dutch. I have sent a certified copy of my Dutch passport plus a certified copy of the naturalization document and an international uitreksel from the BRP showing nationality an ORIGINAL
Liz - 1-Jun-18 @ 10:35 AM
@Dutchman - The copy of your Dutch passport will suffice
TJ. - 31-May-18 @ 7:06 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments