Home > Residency > Education for UK Residents

Education for UK Residents

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 24 Mar 2018 | comments*Discuss
Education For Uk Residents

All children in the UK must undertake full-time education between the ages of five and sixteen. From 2013 children will have to stay in some form of education until the age of eighteen.

Responsibilities of Parents in the UK

Parents of children in the UK are responsible for ensuring that their children attend full-time education. For most children this will mean going to school although a small percentage of children are taught in the home, usually by their parents.

School Education for Five to Sixteen Year Olds

Children must start full-time education, at the latest, in the school term after the child’s fifth birthday and currently must stay at school until the June after they turn 16. Local councils are responsible for providing free education at state schools in their area. Until the age of 10 or 11 children attend primary school after which they move on to secondary school.

Children at state schools follow a national curriculum and are regularly tested throughout their time at school to monitor their progress. Around the age of 16 children take GCSE examinations which provide nationally recognised qualifications. From September 2008 a number of schools and colleges have also offered a range of diplomas to children aged 14 to 19 which have a more vocational emphasis than the GCSE qualifications.

Parents can apply for places at local schools using an application form provided by the local authority. Whilst parents can place schools in order of preference there is no guarantee that children will secure a place at their first-choice school. In most areas there will be at least one school which is over-subscribed.

Children in England aged between three and four are currently entitled to 12 ½ hours of free nursery or pre-school per week.

School Education for Children Aged Sixteen and Over

At the age of sixteen children may currently choose to leave full-time education or progress to a college or sixth form where they may study for ‘A’ Levels or another form of higher school qualification. Children who stay in school after the age of 16 may be entitled to receive up to £30 each week in the form of an Education Maintenance Allowance provided by the state.

Children with Special Needs

Under the laws of the UK children with “special needs” have exactly the same right to have a full-time education as any other child. A child may be deemed to have a special need for a number of reasons – these could range from a serious physical disability to a mild learning difficulty. By law, schools cannot discriminate against a child because it has special needs and, therefore, must ensure that provision is made to accommodate these children. Many children with special needs now go to ordinary schools where they are fully included in everyday life.

Faith Schools

Some state schools are classified as faith schools because religion forms an important part of that school’s identity. Whilst these schools are essentially run in the same way as all state schools they may have different admissions criteria or policies to other, secular, schools.

Private Schools

In addition to free, state schools there are a number of private fee-paying schools throughout the UK. The type and standard of education offered by these schools can vary considerably – as can the fees that they charge.

Higher Education

At the age of 18 or 19 a growing number of young people now choose to go on to higher education at a college or university. Applications for most higher-education courses are made via a centralised system known as UCAS.

Children who live in the UK may apply for a student loan provided by a company which is overseen by the government. Loans are at a preferential interest rate and do not have to be re-paid until the borrower is earning a minimal yearly amount – currently £15,000. Students on a low income, or whose parents are on a low income, may also be entitled to a maintenance grant from the government. If a student qualifies for such a grant it does not have to be re-paid.

Students should also check whether any bursaries, grants or scholarships are provided by the college or university they will be attending, or by any associated professional association.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Waz - Your Question:
Overstayed visa has expired but we have imitagating circumstances What to do

Our Response:
You can see more via the CAB link here, which will tell you more.
AboutImmigration - 27-Mar-18 @ 12:51 PM
@Waz - You should try and leave the country as soon as possible to avoid being detained, deported and banned from returning to the UK.
TJ. - 24-Mar-18 @ 6:12 AM
Overstayed visa has expired but we have imitagating circumstances What to do
Waz - 23-Mar-18 @ 9:41 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Rizwan
    Re: UK Policies on Illegal Immigrants
    Hi I'm in UK since 2006 I was came on visit visa I put the application in 2010 on human rights 2014 that's go refuse offer…
    20 September 2019
  • babo
    Re: Applying for Visas for Extended Family
    I am Shahbaz Ahmed Dar and I am British National but I have resided in Italy and hold Italian residence. Actually…
    18 September 2019
  • Francisco
    Re: Applying for UK Travel Documents
    I applied for a travel document in July 2019 but they don't send me, where I need to ask for my travel document? Or if they…
    18 September 2019
  • Judy
    Re: Giving Up UK Citizenship or Nationality
    My Indefinite leave to remain visa on my another country's passport was cancelled by uk boarder because they said I…
    17 September 2019
  • Alex
    Re: Applying for a British Passport
    I would like to apply for British passport for my son. Hi was born in UK in 2012 and live here all the time and become British…
    16 September 2019
  • Lisa
    Re: Adopting a Child from Abroad
    Hi my wife living in India is my adopted son with tired so I bring UK so what can I do now and my son is special need is slow mind…
    15 September 2019
  • Arfan
    Re: New Rules for South African Visitors to the UK
    Hi I would like to apply for a visitor visa for my brother in law to visit me and my wife from South Africa…
    14 September 2019
    Re: Adopting a Child from Abroad
    Hi I have 1kid she us 15 years I decided to adopt my brother son due to mum die no body looking after him. The same time I have…
    13 September 2019
  • Sasha1605
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    Hey, I am a uk citizen, was born here and lived here all my life (Scotland) my boyfriend is an international student studying here just now…
    13 September 2019
  • Sasha1605
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    I am a Uk citizen my boyfriend is an international student from Nigeria, studying here in Scotland just now. We plan to marry sometime next…
    13 September 2019