Home > UK Visitors > Customs Rules for Entry into the UK

Customs Rules for Entry into the UK

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 28 Oct 2012 | comments*Discuss
Uk Rules Customs Customs And Excise

The rules on the goods that can be brought into the UK are enforced by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC). HMRC have extensive powers to search, detain and arrest people who break the rules on what may be brought across UK borders. Anyone travelling to the UK, including UK or EU nationals, should ensure that they are familiar with these rules.

Goods and merchandise fall into four broad categories:

  • Items which can be brought into the UK free of charge;
  • Items which can be brought into the UK but which may incur a charge – duty or value added tax;
  • Items which may be brought into the UK if the importer has a permit, licence or other legal document allowing the items to be imported;
  • Items which are banned and must never be brought into the UK.

Banned Goods

HMRC publishes a list of all goods which may never be brought into the UK. The penalties for importing banned goods into the UK can be very severe and it is up to travellers to ensure that they are aware of what is permitted by law. Claiming to have been unaware that an item was banned is no excuse.

Examples of the types of goods which can never be brought into the UK include illegal drugs, offensive weapons, counterfeit products and pornographic or obscene material – especially if it features children.

Restricted Goods

Some categories of goods may be brought into the UK but only with permission and are known as restricted goods. Travellers considering bringing any of these items into the UK must ensure that they have all the correct paperwork and permission before they travel. Examples include:
  • Ammunition, firearms and explosives;
  • Some types of radio transmitters which are not authorised for use in the UK;
  • Certain animal products such as ivory, tortoiseshell and the fur of endangered species which are covered by a strict international treaty.
If in doubt, the HMRC website or their National Advice Service Helpline should be consulted before bringing any of the above to the UK.

Duty on Permitted Goods from Outside the EU

Some goods - such as alcohol, perfume and cigarettes - may be brought into the UK free of charge. However, there are strict rules on the amount of such goods that an individual may bring into the UK without paying duty on them. If a traveller arriving from outside of the EU enters the UK with more than their personal allowance of any of these goods they must go through the red customs channel and declare the goods to a customs official. Travellers arriving in the UK who go through the green or blue channels whilst carrying more than the permitted allowance are committing an offence and may face prosecution.

In addition to the restrictions placed on alcohol and tobacco, travellers from outside the EU may only bring back goods and souvenirs to a maximum value of £145. If goods exceeding this value are brought back, duty will have to be paid on the total value of the goods.

Duty on Permitted Goods from Inside the EU

In theory travellers from within the EU may bring unlimited amounts of alcohol and tobacco into the UK provided it is for personal use. Customs officials’ suspicions may be aroused if travellers attempt to enter the country with very large quantities of these goods. For example, if someone entered the UK from the EU carrying more than 3200 cigarettes they are likely to be questioned by customs officials who will suspect that the cigarettes are not for the traveller’s personal use.

If customs officials conclude that any goods brought in from the EU are intended to be sold the goods – and any vehicle in which they were transported – can be confiscated by HMRC.

Importing Food and Plants

The website for the UK Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) provides comprehensive information about the types of food and plants which may be imported into the UK for personal use. Rules vary depending on the individual product and its country of origin.

Importing Animals

Generally speaking animals may not be imported into the UK without an import licence and subsequently spending time in quarantine. However, some pets may now travel freely if they have an up-to-date pet passport.

Bringing Large Amounts of Cash to the UK

Anyone arriving in the UK from outside the EU with more than the equivalent of 10,000 Euros in cash must declare it using a cash declaration form.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Dre
    Re: EU Citizens Working in the UK
    Hi I live in uk for last 19 years, I got slovakian I'd card, my son got uk citizenship.Do I need to register for permanent…
    28 January 2020
  • Lahm
    Re: Asylum Seekers and Permission to Work in the UK
    Hi iam asylum seeker . I waiting my decision for more than year. How can I apply for permit to work . Let…
    28 January 2020
  • Beai
    Re: UK Policies on Illegal Immigrants
    Hi I have been leaving illegally in England over 3 years, what is the best way to get a resident permit visa for here
    26 January 2020
  • Johnny
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    At best... few of those commenting, wont be a drain on the UK, if they get their way. At worst, some will cost us more than just money.
    26 January 2020
  • Billy
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    I was an illegal immigrant in U.K from India hen I met a British born woman who I had been in a relationship for many years. I then meet…
    26 January 2020
  • Billy
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    I was an illegal immigrant in U.K. then I met a British born woman who I had been in a relationship for many years. I then meet another…
    26 January 2020
  • Shai
    Re: Deportation from the UK
    Hi, my brother lived most his live in the uk and been convicted for drug offences.he has recently received a letter from home office that…
    25 January 2020
  • Erick
    Re: Applying for Visas for Extended Family
    Hello , we are first generation British family living in the UK , we have nieces in the Philippines we wish to…
    22 January 2020
  • Isabela
    Re: Claiming a VAT Refund When Leaving the UK
    Can a person who is 14 years old claim VAT back? My nice is in the UK on holidays and doing some shopping. She…
    22 January 2020
  • Jimmy
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    Hi I am a british citizen born here like all my generations have been . I am in a long distance relationship with a kenyan girl . I plan in…
    20 January 2020