Home > UK Visitors > Coming from Abroad to Study in the UK

Coming from Abroad to Study in the UK

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 27 Jan 2013 | comments*Discuss
Coming From Abroad To Study In The Uk

UK education is renowned throughout the world for its academic excellence and UK schools and universities have always welcomed students from abroad. Each year many people come to the UK to study or to improve their English language skills.

The visa requirements for those wishing to study in the UK differ for those whose course will last six months or less and for applicants wishing to study longer courses. Since 1 September 1997 all students on longer courses require student entry clearance to enter the UK – this applies even to those who would not ordinarily require a visa to study in the UK.

A list of all countries whose citizens require a visa to visit the UK is available from the UK Border Agency.

Coming to the UK as a Student

Before coming to the UK as a student, overseas citizens will have to be accepted onto a course provided by an institution on the register of education and training providers. The institution must be:
  • A publicly funded university;
  • A private education institution; or,
  • A private fee-paying school.
To obtain a student visa a foreign national will have to be enrolled on:
  • a full-time degree course;
  • a period of study exceeding six months which forms part of an overseas degree programme;
  • a course which involves 15 hours of time-tabled study each week; or,
  • a full-time course of school education.
Students will also have to show that they can support themselves financially whilst they are in the UK and that they intend to leave the UK at the end of their course.

Students may bring their spouse or partner and any children under the age of 18 to the UK provided that they show that they can afford to support them whilst they are here.

Foreign citizens in the UK on full student visas are permitted to work whilst they are in the UK. However, this should be part-time or holiday work, or a work-placement which forms part of the student’s course. There are restrictions on the number of hours which can be worked during term-time.

Applying For a Student Visa to the UK

Applications for a student visa are made on the VAF 3 – Student form or it may be possible to apply online. Whether applications may, or in some cases must, be made online usually depends on the country in which the applicant resides.

Completing the Application

As well as filling in the application form, student visa applicants will also have to:
  • Provide a valid passport or other travel document;
  • Provide a photograph of themselves which complies with the UK Border Agency’s requirements;
  • Provide any necessary supporting documents – these may include diplomas or certificates, the letter offering a place on the course and documents proving that the applicant can support themselves financially;
  • Pay the fee for the application – since 30 June 2008 this has been £99. However, students studying on some specific academic scholarship programmes do not have to pay a fee.

Obtaining Entry Clearance for the UK

Entry clearance may be given based on the information provided by the applicant in their VAF 3 form. However, the applicant could be required to attend an interview before clearance is given.

Coming to the UK as a Prospective Student

Those who wish to come to the UK to apply for an educational course may be allowed into the country for up to six months to organise the course. Prospective students will have to show that they intend to enrol on a course within six months of their arrival, can support themselves financially and intend to leave at the end of their course or when their permission to be in the UK expires if they do not obtain student status.

Coming to the UK as a Student Visitor

To qualify as a student visitor, applicants must be at least 18 years old and may not study at a government-funded school or undertake any form or work or internship while they are in the UK. Student visitors may not stay in the UK for longer than six months.

Student visitor visa applicants complete the standard visitor’s visa application: the Visitor Form (VAF1).

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • abetiku
    Re: Registering a Child as a UK Citizen or National
    Hi, please I need advice. I came to UK with Tier 2 (3 years visa) and my husband and daughter as…
    18 October 2017
  • rae
    Re: Marrying a UK Resident
    Hi ..am an asylum seeker with a pending case. My boyfriend is a british citizen and we intend to marry, however i wanted to know, if am…
    18 October 2017
  • zippy
    Re: Types of Workers Needed in the UK
    Hi,Am a Kenyan citizen aged 33and l would like to work in the UK as a stewardess or cleaner.kindly advise on where to start…
    18 October 2017
  • Loz
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    Hi! I am from the UK and have lived in Australia for the past 2.5 years. Myself and my Brazilian partner are now travelling to New Zealand…
    18 October 2017
  • Abz127
    Re: Can I Apply for UK Residence?
    My wife has finally received her UK spouse visa. Can you advise when she is likely to receive her BRP decision letter with…
    17 October 2017
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Giving Birth to a Child in the UK
    ben - Your Question:Hi I'm from Zimbabwe I was working in the Uk (legally) for 5 years on a ancestrieal visa I have a child…
    17 October 2017
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Appealing a Refusal of Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK
    Mickg - Your Question:My thai wife today, has been advised her application for 2nd half of 5…
    17 October 2017
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Registering a Child as a UK Citizen or National
    Guy - Your Question:Hello. It is written in the above page:"It may be possible to register a child born…
    17 October 2017
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    Smizzy - Your Question:I was deported from the U.S. In 2009 and I have a girlfriend that lives in the UK. We plan to get married next year.…
    17 October 2017
  • AboutImmigration
    Re: Deportation from the UK
    KAY - Your Question:Hello guys, my name is Kayode, sentenced to 18weeks in prison in 2015 but before then iI applied for a visa to stay…
    17 October 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the AboutImmigration website. Please read our Disclaimer.