Home > UK Visitors > Arriving in the UK from Another Country

Arriving in the UK from Another Country

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 10 Aug 2017 | comments*Discuss
Arriving In The Uk From Another Country

Anyone arriving in the UK from another country - whether they are on holiday or coming to the UK as an immigrant - should ensure that they are prepared. Careful preparation will help to minimise delays on entering the UK and reduce the risk of being refused entry.

Before Travelling to the UK

Depending on the purpose and length of their visit people travelling to the UK should make sure that they have the following items easily accessible in their hand luggage for when they arrive:
  • Passport or other travel document together with any visa and /or entry clearance that is required under the immigration rules;
  • Any documents which may have to be produced under the terms of a visa to confirm the purpose of the visit to the UK;
  • Documents which prove that the visitor or immigrant can support themselves financially during the course of their stay in the UK.

Arriving in the UK

All travellers arriving in the UK must go through passport control upon their arrival in the country. All passports will be checked – including those issued by the UK, the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. Passports are scanned electronically to ensure that they are genuine.

Travellers arriving on passports issued by countries other than those in the UK, the EU, the EEA and Switzerland will have to go through further checks:

  • Immigration officials may ask questions about the purpose of the visit to the UK.
  • People travelling on visas may be asked to produce some or all of the documents which supported their visa application.
  • Travellers to the UK could be asked to show immigration officials the cash, travellers cheques or other financial means that they will use to support themselves during their stay.
  • Travellers who intend to stay in the UK for longer than six months will also require entry clearance before being allowed into the UK (even if they would not ordinarily require a visa).

If the immigration officials are not entirely satisfied after examining all the documents they may detain a passenger whilst they make further enquiries. If necessary, an interpreter will be provided.

Landing Cards

Everyone arriving in the UK from countries outside of the EU, EEA and Switzerland must fill in a landing card. These will usually be provided by your carrier but are also available before passport control. Each passenger must fill in the card with their personal information and the full address at which they will be staying while they are in the UK.

What Happens if You are Refused Entry to the UK?

If the immigration officials are not satisfied that a passenger is genuinely entitled to be in the UK they can refuse to allow entry into the country. If this happens the officials will provide a written explanation for the refusal to allow entry into the UK and will inform the traveller whether they have any right to appeal. In some cases passengers will be permitted to enter the UK temporarily while arrangements are made to remove them.

The Iris Recognition Immigration System (IRIS)

Iris recognition can now be used to pass through immigration at some UK airports, including Heathrow and Gatwick. Registered users are able to go through a dedicated line that should move much more quickly than the usual passport control queues. Instead of presenting their passport, the passenger’s iris is scanned by a machine which compares the data received with information held on record about the passenger.

IRIS is currently available to registered users who are over the age of 18 and are British residents or citizens, or EEA or Swiss citizens. Some visa holders are also eligible for the system. It is free to register for IRIS and should take no more than about 10 minutes. Registration is done when a passenger is leaving the UK after they have gone through passport control and security screening.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
@lee she needs visa to come to UK @ace: you need to complete the documents to get the visa, Home Office is extremely detail. make sure you have the complete and all the details to be submitted.
sunnythian - 10-Aug-17 @ 7:16 AM
Vim - Your Question:
I overstayed in the UK and voluntarily left about 2 1/2 years ago and returned to my homeland.I will be coming to the UK in a month's time for an important occasion.I have passed the 1 year entry ban already.Will I be able to get a visitor visa for a year to be in the UK or are there any other documents that I have to prepare.Please advice

Our Response:
You may wish to read the link here before you apply for your visitor visa as making an application may be a little more complex, dependent upon your situation.
AboutImmigration - 25-Jul-17 @ 3:04 PM
I overstayed in the UK and voluntarily left about 2 1/2 years ago and returned to my homeland. I will be coming to the UK in a month's time for an important occasion. I have passed the 1 year entry ban already. Will I be able to get a visitor visa for a year to be in the UK or are there any other documents that I have to prepare. Please advice
Vim - 25-Jul-17 @ 3:51 AM
I have a question, my wife has applied for a spouse visa I am a brittish citizen . Her application has been put on hold and is up for review she wants to travel to U.K to visit me they have sent back her passport will she be refused entry into U.K
ace - 4-Oct-13 @ 1:10 PM
I have met a female whilst playing games on Facebook. One thing has led to another and we talk via Yahoo! video call every day , this has gone on for months. We have now decided to meet in real life so she has booked a flight to the UK for 2 weeks in June 2012. She will be coming from East Malaysia and landing at Gatwick Airport. Will she be needing a visa if so which one?. Thank you..
lee - 6-Dec-11 @ 11:09 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Bev50uk
    Re: New Rules for South African Visitors to the UK
    I have a very dear friend in SA who i would love to come live here in my home in England. I can get her a…
    25 June 2019
  • CazP
    Re: Applying for a British Passport
    I was born in the UK and have lived here all my life. Other than a1yr passport when I was eleven years old I have never held…
    23 June 2019
  • Nora
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    I'm married to a Gambian man i live there with his family I'm back in England now and he wants to be able to provide change for his family…
    22 June 2019
  • ace4grrace
    Re: EU Citizens Working in the UK
    hi im british but my partner is from the czech republic we aren't married but we have two children who are also british. my…
    20 June 2019
  • Zeeshan
    Re: UK Policies on Illegal Immigrants
    Hi I have live in uk for almost 13 years I am overstayed on my student visa I just wanna know is there any new rules coming…
    19 June 2019
  • Deen
    Re: UK Immigration Rules: Visas and Overstayers
    My brother is overstaying in Uk almost a year now, how can I help him, I leave to remain in uk. He needs help
    17 June 2019
  • RosyAli
    Re: Extradition and the UK
    My partner was extradited from the UK to the USA but all charges were dropped. Would he now be able to return to the UK as he has a life…
    17 June 2019
  • Besh
    Re: Applying for UK Travel Documents
    Hello there. I’m a refugee with leave to remain. I have applied for a travel document last year on 14/06/2018. I got a…
    16 June 2019
  • PAT
    Re: Applying for UK Travel Documents
    Hi. I have refugee settlement and applied for renewal of my travel document in November 2018. Up until now I haven't recieved…
    16 June 2019
  • Zaman
    Re: Applying for UK Travel Documents
    Hi my name is akhtar I have applied for travel documents 25 days ago and I did not receive any confirmation letter or email…
    15 June 2019