Home > Residency > Applying for UK Travel Documents

Applying for UK Travel Documents

By: Louise Smith, barrister - Updated: 28 Jan 2020 | comments*Discuss
Applying For Uk Travel Documents

UK residents who do not have a passport – or who cannot use their passport for travel – may apply for UK travel documents to enable them to pass through international borders. There are a number of different UK travel documents – to be eligible for most of them UK residents will have to have permission to be in the UK for at least six months.

Different Types of Travel Documents

There are four different types of UK travel documents for which UK residents may apply:
  • Convention travel document – for use by refugees;
  • Stateless person’s document;
  • A one-way document – the IS 137;
  • A certificate of travel.

Applying for UK Travel Documents

Applications are made to the UK Border Agency using form TD 112. The UK Border Agency states that it is its aim to process 70% of applications within four weeks. However, applications could take much longer than this and applicants are told not to contact the Agency to enquire about an application unless 14 weeks have passed since the application was sent in. Applications for replacement travel documents can take a long time because the UK Border Agency may have to make extensive enquiries into the circumstances surrounding the application.

Applications for children must be made on a separate form. Children under the age of 16 may apply for a children’s travel document which attracts a lower application fee.

A fee must be paid for all applications. The adult fee for a certificate of travel is £210 and the child fee is £130. For the three other travel documents the adult fee is £72 and the child fee is £46. In most cases the same fee will have to be paid in order to replace a lost or stolen travel document.

Convention Travel Document

This document is for use by UK residents who have official refugee status in accordance with the United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees. A UK resident who can show that they are in the UK with permission and have refugee status will almost certainly be provided with a Convention travel document unless to do so would pose a threat to national security in the UK.

Convention travel documents are valid for 10 years in the case of permanent residents and up to five years for temporary residents depending on the length of time they are permitted to stay in the UK.

Stateless Person’s Document

This document is for use by people who are officially recognised as stateless under the terms of the United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Stateless Persons. Applicants in this category will have to support their application with evidence confirming that they are stateless. A stateless person is someone who is recognised as not having the rights and obligations of a national of any country.

Stateless person’s documents are valid for 10 years when provided to permanent residents and up to five years in the case of temporary residents.

One-way Document

As its name suggests this document is only for use by people permanently leaving the UK and is only valid for one journey.

Certificate of Travel

The certificate of travel is the new name for the document previously known as a certificate of identity. This document is for use by UK residents who are neither refugees nor stateless but whose own countries have officially, and unreasonably, refused to provide them with a passport. Not all countries recognise certificates of travel and they cannot be used for travel to the holder’s own country.

Certificates of travel are usually valid for five years for permanent residents. For temporary residents the validity of the certificate of travel will match the length of time for which they have permission to remain in the UK.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I have indefintate leave to remain. I applied for my second travel document in November and its now end of January and still no response. My first travel document only took 2 weeks. Any advice how to contact them?
KM - 28-Jan-20 @ 4:27 PM
I applied a travel document on November I have got yet I need yo travel 15th January because my sister wedding day . Can tell me anyone What Can I do
John - 2-Jan-20 @ 9:05 PM
I have to register for travel documents for refugees about 70 days. Unfortunately no news about that could someone help about that please.
Serafe - 31-Dec-19 @ 3:29 AM
Meet tooI apply twice but still I am waiting my travel document more 6 month
Achu - 28-Dec-19 @ 1:41 AM
Hello my name is manzar. I am Italian refugee. I have Italian forever resident card. My wife from uk and she is British citizen. I want to come to UK to stay with my wife. What I do please reply me . Reallytoo much depress and disappoint
Khan - 20-Dec-19 @ 1:25 AM
I have infinite leave to remain and my travel documents was expired 14 January 2016.and iam not traveled any where.how much cost to renewal my travel documents.
N/l - 14-Dec-19 @ 10:27 AM
Does anybody know where you can travel without a visa with certified of travel?( black travel document )
Siro - 14-Nov-19 @ 8:28 PM
Hello sir ma. I apply for my twins travel document. Will want to travel my December am but ticket. What can I do na please. Thanks.
Cynthia - 12-Nov-19 @ 10:36 AM
I applied for my travel documenton the 19th of February 2019.I haven’tgot my travel document yet.Now I need to know how to contact to get my travel document .Thank you
None - 31-Oct-19 @ 6:33 PM
HI i applied for HO Tra Doc but i dis not send a copy of brp as its not being ask in the checklist. Do i still need to send
camille - 10-Oct-19 @ 8:44 PM
Hi ! Everyone , I have applied for my daughterrefuge travel documenton 14 of August 2019 please could you tell me how long it will take I really need it . Or doanyone have a phone number to contact ? Thank you !
Dea - 25-Sep-19 @ 11:26 AM
I applied for a travel document in July 2019 but they don't send me, where I need to ask for my travel document? Or if they need anything?
Francisco - 18-Sep-19 @ 4:13 AM
I applied for a travel document on the 5th of March 2019 and am still waiting for my travel document no response from home office at all can anyone have home office travel document branch phone number
Niaz - 13-Sep-19 @ 3:02 PM
Can one way documents be used by british citizens not having passport.Can i have details of them?
Heer - 31-Aug-19 @ 6:53 PM
Hi,I came to uk through spouse visa. i do not have passport. i want to apply for travel document. but i do not know which type i should apply for. could you please guide me.thanks.
zahra - 16-Aug-19 @ 4:09 PM
Hi there I aply to renew my travel documents on December 2018 done biometric on January no reply to date, can someone advise me please thanks
Kaz - 10-Aug-19 @ 1:08 PM
I see a lot of people who’s travel documents have been delayed and not yet received their passports. I wanted to see if anyone one of you guys have a contact number to the travel document home office department to see if they have our documents. Can someone post a number or email address to contact them on ? Have you been successful in getting a response ? Thanks
Jamal - 1-Aug-19 @ 12:33 PM
Hi, I haven’tsent a copy of my BRP as it doesn’t ask to send them in checklist will it be an issue
Nasir - 30-Jul-19 @ 3:30 PM
I applied for a travel document in March the 20th of May for my travel document and it hasn’t came yet can it come here before tomorrow or is it not possible?
Lali - 23-Jul-19 @ 1:59 PM
Hi, I applied for a travel document in 2017 but still I didn't what noting it's been more than a year I paid 75 pounds but still I don't have the travel documents
Sura - 4-Jul-19 @ 3:31 PM
Hi everyone I just want to ask you did you all applying your travel Documents passport online or you fill the form cos I want to apply for a travel Document and I don’t know what to do I sow your comment and I scare to apply???
Alan - 4-Jul-19 @ 12:50 PM
Hi everyone, I’ve applied for travel document online but didn’t send copy of BRP. At the end on the checklist they didn’t asked to send them the photocopy of the BRP. What are your suggestions are they going to send it back to me or they will continue ?
Razman - 3-Jul-19 @ 7:56 PM
I applied for my travel document online on the 4th of June and posted the supporting documents on the 6th. No correspondence received yet.
MaiT - 1-Jul-19 @ 2:38 PM
Hi I have granted indefinite leave to remain in the uk. I have applied for my travel document in December 2018until today I haven’t got any response so please help me I need to travel urgently my grandmother is very sick and she needs me there. Please someone tell me what should I do
Kadir - 27-Jun-19 @ 1:05 PM
Hello there. I’m a refugee with leave to remain. I have applied for a travel document last year on 14/06/2018. I got a knowledge letter on 31/07/2018 which is about queuing for a case worker to process it in 70 working days. However 255 working days left but I haven’t got my travel document. There are 5 people in my family and all of them have got it excluding me. I’m a musician I have a festival invitation from Lille city on 06th of July. Please any help? what should I do? Thank you so much.
Besh - 16-Jun-19 @ 10:47 AM
Hi. I have refugee settlement and applied for renewal of my travel documentin November 2018. Up until now I haven't recieved any acknowledgrment if my application was received. My worry now is. The bank card I used for the payment expired am having a new one. Please help. The 14 weeks is now way over. Please help.Thank you. Grace
PAT - 16-Jun-19 @ 7:20 AM
Hi my name is akhtar I have applied for travel documents 25 days ago and I did not receive any confirmation letter or email can you let me know how long do I have to wait I really need to go on holiday thanks
Zaman - 15-Jun-19 @ 9:04 AM
Hi I need your help. I applied mine travel document so it would be renewed bcs my pages were full. I applied the 2nd of may and still have no news.. Can you please let me know how long its gonna take. Thank you for the service
Am - 14-Jun-19 @ 4:12 PM
Hi, I applied for a travel document in February but unfortunately my application was refused. Stating that I did not sign the document. I have been sent an enclosed document to sign and return to home office. I would like to know if this is the only document I have to send back or do I have to fill the form again? and also do I have to pay another fee? Hope to hear from you soon. Fatmata
Binta - 14-Jun-19 @ 2:36 PM
Hi. I I applied for refugee travel documentfor my child nearly 14week and l havenotreceivet any letters ofconformationthatthehome office has received may application and may documents lcompletedonline and l paid £49only l got a emailconfirmingreceipt of paymentand still now l waiting plz a
Narmin - 9-Jun-19 @ 10:46 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Dre
    Re: EU Citizens Working in the UK
    Hi I live in uk for last 19 years, I got slovakian I'd card, my son got uk citizenship.Do I need to register for permanent…
    28 January 2020
  • Lahm
    Re: Asylum Seekers and Permission to Work in the UK
    Hi iam asylum seeker . I waiting my decision for more than year. How can I apply for permit to work . Let…
    28 January 2020
  • Beai
    Re: UK Policies on Illegal Immigrants
    Hi I have been leaving illegally in England over 3 years, what is the best way to get a resident permit visa for here
    26 January 2020
  • Johnny
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    At best... few of those commenting, wont be a drain on the UK, if they get their way. At worst, some will cost us more than just money.
    26 January 2020
  • Billy
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    I was an illegal immigrant in U.K from India hen I met a British born woman who I had been in a relationship for many years. I then meet…
    26 January 2020
  • Billy
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    I was an illegal immigrant in U.K. then I met a British born woman who I had been in a relationship for many years. I then meet another…
    26 January 2020
  • Shai
    Re: Deportation from the UK
    Hi, my brother lived most his live in the uk and been convicted for drug offences.he has recently received a letter from home office that…
    25 January 2020
  • Erick
    Re: Applying for Visas for Extended Family
    Hello , we are first generation British family living in the UK , we have nieces in the Philippines we wish to…
    22 January 2020
  • Isabela
    Re: Claiming a VAT Refund When Leaving the UK
    Can a person who is 14 years old claim VAT back? My nice is in the UK on holidays and doing some shopping. She…
    22 January 2020
  • Jimmy
    Re: Marrying a UK Citizen
    Hi I am a british citizen born here like all my generations have been . I am in a long distance relationship with a kenyan girl . I plan in…
    20 January 2020